I fought the bottle (of milk)… and I won!

January 31, 2012

It has now been just over 3 weeks since D had her last bottle of milk, so I am happy to confidently report that we are currently a bottle-free house. I haven’t washed a bottle or nipple in 24 days. Wahoo!

Our doctor has been recommending D drop the bottles all together by 18 months (which she turns tomorrow!), but until recently I was scared to even try. We were successful in getting her down to just having them at night – 1, maybe 2, before bedtime if she drank the first one and was still wanting more – but I had no idea how she was going to get to sleep without those.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

natalie@FourJedis January 31, 2012 at 8:49 am

It’s really hard to get to those milestones which make our babies less baby. For what it’s worth, I still look at my older son, who is five, and think of him as a baby. Congrats on being bottle free… the only thing I’ve been really excited about is going diaper-free. 🙂

_ScooterMarie January 31, 2012 at 3:18 pm

@natalie1 Oo, diaper-free will be a big one, too. And yes, very nice! I think I will look at D as a baby for quite some time, really. She’s only 1.5 years old – plenty of “baby” time left. 😉

shellthings January 31, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Yay, what a milestone!

_ScooterMarie January 31, 2012 at 11:13 pm

@shellthings Thanks, Shell!

thehhhousewife January 31, 2012 at 11:04 pm

So glad that transition went better than you thought it would!

_ScooterMarie January 31, 2012 at 11:14 pm

@thehhhousewife Thank you, Claire! I’m not gonna lie – it had me pretty freaked out so I was very relieved it ended up going how it did.

deannabe1 February 1, 2012 at 1:03 am

Whoo hoo! Congratulations! A bit impressive how much easier it was when you made the decision and stuck too it. I can only imagine how much harder it would have been if you had given in on the first night. Good for you for sticking it out!

_ScooterMarie February 1, 2012 at 8:50 am

@deannabe1 I know, I thought the exact same thing. If we just kept giving in when she cried, we’d never get rid of the bottles. Thank you!

BlairKernodleScheepers February 1, 2012 at 5:39 am

Congratulations! I think our little ones are better at adjusting to change than we are…

_ScooterMarie February 1, 2012 at 8:50 am

@BlairKernodleScheepers Thanks, Blair! You know, I think so too. They’re so resilient; it amazes me every day.

juliewrites February 1, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Congrats. It is hard to help your little ones grow up. With my daughter we transitioned from the bottle to a sippy cup with a nipple, and then I changed the nipple for a silicon sippy top, and then a hard sippy top. This took about 3 weeks and worked great.

_ScooterMarie February 1, 2012 at 3:41 pm

@juliewrites Thank you! I know, it is so hard seeing her move on stage to stage, because I really still think of her as this little baby girl. Fortunately she’s done great with various types of sippy cups for milk, water, and juice for months now, it was just ditching that last bedtime bottle. And now that’s done!